Teaching Bookmarks

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

EDUC 422 Reflection -- Last EDUC 422 Post

When I first began this class, I assumed technology integration was just the basics. This includes internet researching, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and probably Excel and other similar programs. I had no idea what this class would truly entail. This is a great thing, though. I am walking away from this class knowing that I learned a lot about online technology tools that are way more amazing tools out there to use in the classroom than I ever knew before. The biggest take away from this class are tools that connect me with not only my students (such as through the classroom website and my blog) but also with other educators around the world. Resources like Diigo and educational groups and forums through social media are simply invaluable. I never honestly thought to connect with other teachers this way and be able to find so much great information to bring into the classroom in creative ways. In such a diverse population that we live in, I think technology can really help students succeed because it offers the opportunity for students to learn through all different mediums. Like I mentioned, I never thought to use social media as a learning tool. I thought it was the enemy of education honestly. I still think there needs to be some monitoring and tactfulness when having students use social media for learning, but after this class, I realize that ultimately social media sites can be used just as an other educational tool if accessed and used properly. With social media and other online tools, students are able to bring thinking home with them and collaborate online easily in a medium they are comfortable with (which is something I learned in the Flipped Classroom articles). I think this is really important. As I said, coming into this class I assumed that it was about the basics, the boring use of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc. Now that I have completed this class, I think classroom technology integration has far surpassed this and is on the rise. I think it is great, but also needs to be something that teachers learn about so that students don't run rampant on the internet without really knowing how to use it in a way that is beneficial to their learning. This class has opened my eyes to different online resources that will be beneficial to student learning. I really appreciated that about this class. Technology continues to grow and change and of course it is going to be a part of the classroom and students lives. So why not continue to learn new things through technology and help students with it as well?

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    I'm so glad you've come away from the class with a new perspective. As you've said, all of these technology options open new options, but still require a good teacher to manage and help students manage it effectively. I look forward to seeing where your teaching journey takes you.

    ReplyDelete